Thursday, July 5, 2007

Summer Reading List

For this summer, I would recommend the following:
Right now, I am rediscovering the classics . . . once again. Currently, I am enjoying reading David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens. It is the third of his works that I have picked up, and am thoroughly enjoying it. So far, I would put A Tale of Two Cities first, followed by Copperfield, and lastly Great Expectations. This is all I have read thus far, but am planning on reading more.

Recently I finished the biography of Adolf Hitler by John Toland, and would recommed it to anybody who enjoys history. Additionally, I have also recently finished The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchmann, about the beginnings of World War I. That, combined with a very good comprehensive study of the Great War in one volume, The First World War by S. L. A. Marshall, is also a good selection for history buffs.

My third selection is one that I have not yet read, but already have pre-ordered. This is the final of the Harry Potter series. Being a relatively late-comer to this series, I have nonetheless enjoyed them, and am on the edge of my seat to find out how J. K. Rowling will resolve this adventure. Additionally, I also plan on seeing the Order of the Phoenix next week on the IMAX screen.

The Tolkien lover in me enjoyed The Children of Hurin, the latest of the writings of the late J. R. R. Tolkien to be made available by his family. While anybody who has read the Silmarillion will not find a whole lot new here, it was still fun to have this interesting tale set off on its own with more detail than we were treated to in the Silmarillion.

Finally, if you have a taste for science fiction, I also plan on picking up the latest in the Dune empire by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson. While not as cerebral, and perhaps catering a bit more towards entertainment than intellect, these additions have been entertaining and fast moving readings. Whether they are true to the original intent of Frank Herbert I will leave for others to debate. But if you want a good story, I have not been disappointed by these two authors.

No comments: