Monday, May 21, 2007

Amnesty by any other name . . .

This piece of immigration legislation is the biggest sellout of the Republican base since George H. W. Bush went back on his no new taxes pledge. The political doublespeak is seriously nauseating regarding it. I'm afraid I simply can't stomach the B.S. anymore about how this isn't amnesty. They toss in a $5000 fine and expect us to believe that this is "getting tough." I'm sorry, but when I call it amnesty, I call it that because these people entered the country illegally, and instead of enforcing the law, which would require immediate deportation back to their home country, they get a Z-visa and have to pay a small penalty (I won't be holding my breath on the government enforcing that $5000 fine) and they get a break by not having to pay back taxes. So yes, Bush, McCain, and even you, Tony Snow, I call that amnesty.
If this legislation passes, I think it will effectively lock Republicans out of power for several election cycles, until this old, beltway crowd of Republicans has cycled out. They will have put the final nail in the coffin of the Republican Revolution of '94. I think Jeb Bush can also bury any nascent dreams he has for a run for the White House. The Bushes have shown that, while they will be strong on national defense, they cannot be reliably counted on for conservative values.
I will also say, here and now, that I have now solidified my resolve against McCain or Giuliani for the nomination, given the first's complicity in this legislation, and the second's seeming approval of it, as well as his history of supporting illegal immigration. I've had it with "compassionate" conservatism. I'm ready for the good old days when conservative meant something other than Democrat Light. Because, honestly, with Republicans like these, who needs Democrats?

No comments: